Friday, June 19, 2009

Eat This, Not That

Just a note, I'm not doing good at all on my post a day in June but I am trying and it is better than once a month as I was doing. Thanks to everyone for their emails on my quest to drink only H20. Your encouragement and helpful hints were all appreciated. Part of me fears that I took on too big of a challenge, but I'm going to give it a good attempt. If nothing else I will be off of all diet sodas by August 1st. Those are really what is dragging me down right now.


I ordered a couple of interesting books off of Amazon and they came in today. They are part of the Eat This, Not That plan designed by Mens Health. It basically looks at every meal you eat, every resturant you would visit, and every type of menu you would face and advises you on what types of food to eat. As with every new diet fad there are great testimonies of people out there who have lost a lot of weight and look great and feel great. I am curious though if there is something there. This plan doesn't call for you to go out and buy a bunch of food or diet pills or anything it just gives you guidance on which foods make better choices than others. It's quite amazing. One example is at McDonalds they actually reccomend a quarter pounder over the deluxe grilled chicken sandwich. That sounds crazy at first but if you look at the nutritional facts it pans out. To clarify it does NOT encourage you to eat quarter pounds but just says if you must eat at McDonalds what the better choice is. By the way the average Subway customer consumes 350 MORE calories than a customer to McDonalds. The book calls this the Healthy Halo syndrome. People think they are eating healthier so they eat more. Interesting concept.

I'm not committing to this plan at this point in time but we are looking through the books. I say this as we at Dominos pizza tonight. Malachi ate FIVE pieces of thin crust pizza. More than Leah! I will start the H20 only plan after vacation which is the week after next. Maybe if it still sounds like a good idea we'll start the Eat This, Not That plan. Anyone tried it yet? You can visit the website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment